California Education Benefits for Veterans and their families

November 1, 2016

tuition money - California Education Benefits for Veterans and their families


Does the state of California have any programs to help pay for education?

Yes, the College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking, or room and board.



How do I qualify for the College Fee Waiver Program?

You must be the dependent of an eligible disabled veteran with a service connected disability rating of 0% or higher. Some other qualifications are required under specific plans. You must include with you application proof of dependency (i.e. birth certificate, adoption records, marriage license), proof of service connected disability and proof of income. Proof of income is not required for dependents of 100% service-connected disabled veteran dependents.

To apply, contact the local County Veterans Service Office or the Admissions Office of any California college system campus. For more information about the college fee tuition waiver and to download an application, go to the County Veteran Service Office website.