The Untold Story Challenge seeks to shine a light on America’s military kids and youth, “hidden helpers.” Through writing, drawing, film, photography, or any creative practice, hidden helpers are invited to share their experiences and showcase the strength, compassion, and hope that makes this community so special.
Who Can Participate?
- Military and veteran children and youth ages 24 and under
- Submissions from hidden helpers under age 18 must have a parent or guardian complete the contract/release form on their behalf.
How to Enter
- Respond to any of the following prompts:
- What is something you want people to know about being part of a military or veteran family?
- How do you help your mom or dad? How do you feel when you help them?
- Tell us about a time you had to be brave for your family.
- Tell us your favorite story or memory about your family.
- Entries can be in the form of writing, drawing, film, photography, a voice memo, or any creative practice.
- The deadline for submissions is January 20, 2023.
- The grand prize winner will be awarded a $5,000 savings bond and a two-night trip for two to our annual Heroes & History Makers gala in Washington, D.C. in fall 2023. We’ll announce the winners and award prizes in April 2023, in honor of April – Month of the Military Child.
- The submission portal will remain open after this initial deadline, as we want to encourage our community members to continue sharing their remarkable stories.