Under general supervision from assigned manager, performs program, technical, and administrative duties in support of the veterans services program; serves as an advisor for and assists active military, veteran, and eligible dependent students with obtaining resources and services; assists with the coordination and oversight of the activities and daily operation of the Veterans’ Success Center; and serves as the School Certifying Official (SCO) and liaison between the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and the District.
Examples Of Functions and Tasks
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Serves as the School Certifying Official (SCO) and liaison between the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and the District to ensure compliance with VA educational regulations; supports the program during VA and Department of Defense (DOD) audits; maintains, verifies, and updates documentation and student enrollment records; ensures certification of veteran student eligibility and enrollment; advocates for distribution of eligible benefits and receipt of services and resources; consults with students regarding academic concerns and monitors academic progress; assists students with scheduling courses, determining an appropriate class schedule, and registering for classes.
- Advises and assists active military, veteran, and eligible dependent students with obtaining resources to maximize their VA and DOD educational benefits; assists students with completing applications for services and other required documents.
- Conducts and participates in outreach events for recruitment and veteran benefits awareness; plans, coordinates, organizes, schedules, and conducts orientations, workshops, seminars, presentations, tours, meetings, and other activities related to the veterans’ program; arranges and confirms speakers; reserves facilities and makes other necessary arrangements.
- Partners with marketing to develop promotional and informational collateral for outreach events to raise awareness and promote available programs, services, and educational resources to military and community organizations offered to aid the applicable student population.
- Partners with appropriate District offices for the billing, receipt, and accounting of funds as defined by the VA.
- Coordinates with Admissions and Records staff to verify periodic activity reports and comply with federal reporting requirements for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Serves as the point of contact for students, District staff, and the public regarding department and program services; provides technical and specialized program information and assistance; explains program applications, policies, procedures, requirements, and restrictions; assesses students’ current knowledge, understanding, and experience to determine next steps and recommend applicable resources; assists students and provides technical assistance in the use of programs and resources; refers students to counselors, other student services, and resources, as needed; answers phones and refers callers to appropriate office or District staff, as needed.
- Establishes and maintains records, files, and record keeping systems, including confidential and sensitive information; collects, compiles, records, and verifies narrative, statistical, and financial data, and other information; researches and verifies information, as requested.
- Coordinates communications and activities with other District departments and personnel, educational institutions, government, private agencies, and the public.
- Performs clerical and administrative duties in support of department and program operations; composes and prepares correspondence, materials, reports, forms, brochures, presentations, handbooks, manuals, and information; develops promotional and informational materials for distribution; assists with planning, developing, documenting, and implementing department or program operations and procedures; recommends changes regarding policies and procedures; collects, compiles, verifies, and records information in preparation of reports; researches and resolves problems; maintains and generates reports from a database or network system; maintains assigned calendars, schedules, and appointments; maintains inventory of office and department supplies, resources, and collateral; arranges for equipment repair or service, as needed.
- Serves as a technology resource for students and District staff for information and assistance.
- Determines program eligibility and prepares needs analysis, as needed; reviews, processes, and assists students with program and college applications; registers students for programs; uses case management strategies to monitor, track progress, and provide support to students ensuring they maintain program eligibility and reach educational goals.
- Compiles and tabulates statistical data; compiles information from various sources and prepares appropriate forms, schedules, and summarizes data related to standard reports; lists, abstracts, or summarizes data; inputs and reviews data and prepares special and periodic reports related to an assigned project or program area, including federal and state mandated reporting; verifies accuracy, completeness, and compliance with rules, procedures, regulations, policies, and other mandates.
- Participates in evaluating current processes and procedures that impact effectiveness and the ability to fully leverage technology to serve students; makes recommendations to increase efficiencies.
- Pulls research and data reports to identify students who may be eligible for additional support programs.
- Reviews updated or new technical instructions or references; assists in providing training and direction to others regarding changes and new regulations, including creating and disseminating new instructions.
- Assists students in the preparation and completion of forms, petitions, and certifications, including, but not limited to, program and college applications, graduation petitions, and other documents; clears prerequisites and registration holds; verifies completeness and processes forms and petitions; enters data and maintains records of student activity.
- Monitors accuracy of college catalog and changes in academic programs that impact student’s eligibility.
- Assists manager with hiring process for the VA Work-Study program as the Work-Site Supervisor.
- Develops and establishes relationships with the service area communities to promote the college, including educational programs and resources, campus events, career workshops, and scholarships.
- Develops and implements a peer-to-peer veteran’s mentorship program.
- Collaborates with the Sierra College Foundation to fund programs to improve the educational experience and outcomes of applicable students.
- Attends VA trainings and conferences, as needed, to ensure compliance with VA rules and regulations for certified program funding.
- May perform general clerical accounting duties related to various financial processes.
- Provides assistance to and backs up co-workers and other staff within the assigned area, as needed.
- Provides onboarding support, general work training, guidance, supervision assistance, and directs activities of students or temporary employees.
- Performs related duties that support the overall objective of the position.
For more information and to apply, click here.