fbpx

Women Veterans’ Highway

The portion between Route 4 in Stockton (~SJ 17.467) and Hammer Lane (~ SJ 22.905) is officially designated the “Women Veterans’ Highway”.

Named in recognition of the sacrifices made by women in defense of our nation that began over 220 years ago with the American Revolution and continues today. Throughout our country’s history, nearly two million women have attained the esteemed title of veteran because of their service to the United States.

In 1999, women comprised 14 percent of all Americans in military uniform and accounted for 20 percent of all new recruits. Though women were not permitted to participate in the United States’ armed forces in earlier years, historical records verify that over 60 women were either wounded or killed at various battles during the Civil War.

In 1901, the United States’ Army recognized women’s enthusiasm to serve our country by establishing the first official entity for women named the Army Nurse Corps, without providing the benefit of military rank, equal pay, or benefits. Because of their courageous efforts and determined commitment to their country, women were finally granted attendance to the United States Military Academies in 1975 when Congress introduced and passed a law allowing for these highly regarded universities to become coeducational.

Named by Senate Concurrent Resolution 43, Chapter 129, 9/12/2003.